This post will be exactly what the title says, a little bit of this and a little bit of that!! Hope you enjoy, please forgive me for the length of this post. My mind has nothing to do all day, so I sit, type blog posts in my head, try to figure out what God is up to (something that I know is pointless but I just can't seem to stop it!!), try to contemplate all the scenarios that may happen and what we'll do in each one. Needless to say, this bed rest is kinda dangerous, especially since I tend to over analyze EVERYTHING!! Sometimes, no make that all the time, I just wish I had an "off" switch for my brain!!
Since we live in Africa it is totally customary to have a night guard. Most of the expats here have them, some even have a day guard in addition to the night guard. It's not that things are so bad that we need a guard, it's more like a deterrent for would be thieves. The culture here is big on honor and shame. I mean to get caught stealing would bring such shame to a person and his family that it would be like social suicide!! Not to mention for them, spiritual suicide as well. So, anyway's, we have a night guard who comes at 6:30pm every night and stays until 6:30am every morning. Our guard's name is Alasane and we've grown quite fond of him. When we first moved here he, his wife, and then 2 children lived in a store room in our courtyard. Our company decided it would be best for him to get his own place, so about a month or so after we got here they helped him get set up in a new house. I think because he lived here he takes extra care and has a deep bond with our house. We often call him "super guard". Most guards will sleep during the night but not Alasane, we often hear him walking around in the middle of the night. We've even caught him wondering around checking things out during a thunderstorm!! What a trooper! Anyway's, he and Zeke really have a special bond. Every night when he gets here, he quickly takes a shower (also a very common thing around here), so he and Zeke can begin their nightly routine. The routine consists of about 45 minutes or so of Alasane doing whatever Zeke wants. They "play soccer", Alasane rides Zeke around on his bicycle, they run around chasing each other, and of course they turn all the outside lights on. I love sitting here listening to them outside, it brings me such joy to hear such big, belly laughs coming out of my little boy!! Many nights it's also helped get supper on the table faster since we didn't have a 2 year old helper in the kitchen! So, the other night I finally got the camera out and took some pictures of the nightly routine, I hope you enjoy them....
"Look at me Mama!!"
Telling me "Bye!"
In other Eubanks' News. I'm currently 15 weeks and 5 days into this pregnancy. Physically, I feel fine. I'm still spotting some. Mentally, I'm going crazy. I know it's a combination of the pregnancy hormones, plus the extra hormones the doctor has me on, and the fact that I've been glued to the couch or the bed for 3 weeks and 3 days now!! Please pray for all of us. That we will have the strength to do whatever it is that God wants us to do. Here's a picture of my ever growing "bump"...
We've also decided to get a 2nd opinion about what's going on. The African doctors here are not the same as an American doctor. They don't like to be questioned about anything! Most of the time when you go, say for a cold, they'll just say, here's a prescription, go get it filled, take the medicine, and it will get better. They don't tell you what's wrong or anything. They tend to have the attitude, "I am the doctor, I know all!!" Not something this American girl is used to. So, about 5 hours from where we live is a mission ran women and children's hospital. Due to that fact that's it's 5 hours away we've never considered it an option in my prenatal care, not with Zeke, the baby we lost last year, nor with this baby. I mean why drive 5 hours, when there's a doctor 20 minutes down the road. Even though, after my first ultrasound with my doctor here, the one I blogged about here, I seriously considered switching to the doctors there. Anyway's, this hospital is mainly for Africans but it is ran by Americans who happen to be missionaries but who also happen to be doctors!! Yep, that's right there's an American, English speaking OB/GYN at this hospital. After talking it over with the doctors who work for our board, we decided a 2nd opinion would be a good idea. They gave me the all clear to travel that far (the roads here are not the greatest in the world!), as long as we broke up the trip. So, in a few days, we'll be headed that way, stopping a little over half way to spend the night with friends, getting up the next morning and going the rest of the way to see the doctor. To say I'm a little nervous, anxious about this appointment would be an understatement! I have really been struggling the past 3 weeks, but especially the past week. I just want some answers!! I'm praying that I'll get some more concrete answers at this appointment. I'm praying it won't be like that first ultrasound appointment where I walk away feeling frustrated and disappointed. I pray that all is still well with our little one. At the same time, I'm so looking forward to talking with an American doctor!! I mean, I'll be able to understand EVERYTHING that he says!! Praise the Lord! I'm hoping he'll be like my wonderful doctor in America and will sit down and kinda talk through this with us. I'm also looking forward to getting out of the house for a few days and spending some time with our friends!! It is a much needed break that I have been counting down the days to since we decided to get the 2nd opinion!! Praise God for providing this opportunity!! Please be lifting up the following requests:
- Safe travels for our entire trip...there and back home.
- Health for our little one.
- Wisdom for the doctor and us as we meet and discuss what he thinks and where to go from there.
- A sweet time with friends and some fun while we're away!! (as much fun as one can have on bed rest!)
Thank you for standing in the gap for us. We couldn't do this without your faithful prayer support behind us!! Until next time...
2 comments:
Crystal, I am so glad to hear you are going to take the drive and get another opinion. You have so been on my heart lately! I'll be praying that this Dr will be much more helpful, and you will be able to work out a reasonable plan after meeting with him.
I found that even here in Canada, each doctor and nurse we spoke with had a different take on my condition, and what was acceptable while I was on bedrest. Even when I was being induced, each Dr on call had such a different approach! (One OB told me that baby had to come "today!" and the next OB asked me why we didn't choose to wait a couple more weeks before the induction!) So I think another opinion will be helpful in seeing more clearly what the situation really is. Praying...
I pray you have a save trip, Crystal. I will be thinking about you and your baby. I hope you get some relief and some much needed answers.
Post a Comment