Sunday, August 21, 2011

Counting Our Blessings...

I follow several different blog that have different themes for different days, "Wordless Wednesday" & "Thankful Thursday's", are two that I can think of off the top of my head! Well, I am in no way going to commit to doing a weekly counting our blessings but today my heart is just overflowing!! The old expression, "My cup runneth over," is definitely in the fore front of my mind today!! No, we still haven't heard anything from the midwife with our company but today, that doesn't matter!! So, what's been so great the past couple of days?? Well, let me tell you...

It has rained the past two days!!! Now, this isn't incredibly uncommon since we're smack dab in the middle of rainy season but it's still been wonderful!! It's also helped my lovey dovey feelings toward the rain since the power outages have been minimal!! Thank you Lord for power!!! It's been so nice to not be sweating all the time!! This morning I had a yummy cup of decaf coffee (another blessing!!) and this was the comment I made to Arnett, "I'm kinda cold sitting here underneath this fan!" Okay, I just said that I was cold and I was still in Mali!! A true blessing for sure!! Thank you Lord!!

Several months ago a friend of ours from our training days in Virginia e-mailed us and told us about a couple that was coming to Mali this summer. This couple has been sent out by their church to work with the local churches to help mobilize them to reach the unreached people groups of Mali. So, we started e-mailing them trying to assist them as they packed a crate and prepared to move to Mali. This past week they finally arrived in Mali. Another couple that will be moving to Mali next summer also came to check Mali out and see where they will be moving next year. Yesterday, we were able to have them over for a traditional African meal (thanks to a wonderful house helper!), take them fabric shopping, then to the tailor, then to the grocery store, and then I helped the women cook lasagna from scratch! Now, before you think, "Crystal, you're supposed to be taking it easy!" I stayed home and Arnett did the running to the market, tailor, and grocery store with them! It was such a blessing to be able to help these couples. We're planning to meet some more with them this week and help them out anyway we can. Thank you Lord for allowing us to have time right now to help these couples out!!!

This morning was a fun morning around here!! First, this little one was kicking up a storm!! I've noticed he or she moves a lot during the night...maybe it's just because that's when I'm the most still and notice the movement. That's what I'm hoping it is. I hope he or she doesn't already have days and nights mixed up! Another simple blessing was chocolate chip pancakes and bacon!! Even though the pancakes were a little on the chocolaty side! (I got a little carried away throwing the chocolate chips in!)! Arnett made the comment, "I'll take a little pancake with my chocolate please!" Oh well, they were still yummy and we all enjoyed them!! 

We've also been quite entertained by Zeke lately! I don't remember when he started this but we would lay him down for a nap or for bed at night and he'd say, "Pa (his word for potty) and then make grunting noises like he had to poop!" It was quite comical and we quickly learned he was trying to delay nap or bed time!! Then, when he realized that grunting wasn't going to work he'd start asking for random people, his papa, our house helper's son, whoever he could think of. One day this week Arnett had laid him down and shortly thereafter had to go back in to check on him and when he got in there Zeke tells him, "Done! Done!" I was overhearing all this on the monitor and thought I was going to fall off the bed laughing!! The real kicker came this past Thursday though, we had laid Zeke down to take a nap. Arnett came back in our room and we were sitting here working on our computers. I then heard Zeke's door open. I asked Arnett, "Did Mariam (our house helper) just go in his room?" He was like, "I don't know but she better not have!!" Arnett then proceeds to go check things out. He found Mariam sitting at the table eating her lunch and Zeke standing there in the living room. Our little monkey boy has finally learned how to crawl out of his pack-n-play!! We put him back in his bed and he then crawled out 2 more times. At that point Arnett and I didn't know what to do, so we just put him in our room. Thankfully, he hasn't crawled out anymore...this week!!

Until next time...

No comments: