We had a great week and learned a lot. One of the biggest things God showed me is that I cannot do this without Him!!! Wednesday of this week we started language classes. While in class I felt really good about my progress!! Wednesday afternoon to get some practice Arnett and I ventured out of our compound and into the streets of our neighborhood. I quickly realized what I thought I knew I really didn’t know. The people on the street talk so fast and I could not keep up with what they were saying! I quickly realized if I am going to get this language down it is going to take God’s strength, lots of practice, and time!! I am not going to go out of my first (second, third, etc…)language class talking like I’ve lived here all my life!!
We both got African names this week! Names are a big deal here. People also turn last names into a big teasing matter. Depending on what your last name is you can be a thief, a slave, a dog, a king, and a bean eater just to name a few!! Arnett’s new name is Yacuba (Pronounced: Ya Cooba) Dembele (Pronounced: Dumb Belly). My new name is Aminata (pronounced just like its spelled) Tarawele (pronounced: Trawelly). Based on our last names we are cousins and we like to eat beans. Eating beans is not a good thing since beans tend to give you gas (not joking that’s what are language helper told us!!)
We also were able to go to a Bible story testing group. A testing group is where you tell a Bible story and then ask lots of questions about the story and how it relates to the people and the culture. It was very neat to see these men answer and ask lots of questions. While the sole purpose of the testing group is just testing and not evangelism. God is always there working in the hearts of those listening. Arnett also got to taste Malian tea for the first time. Tea is a big to do around here. They serve it in three rounds as a sign of friendship. I also got to use the “squatty potty” for the first time!!
Another exciting thing happened this week... Arnett got to feel Butterbean kick or punch for the first time!! It was so amazing!! Praise God for the gift of life growing inside of me!!
These are just a few of the highlights from our first full week in Mali. We are learning lots and adapting quickly!! We thank you for your prayers, until next time…
4 comments:
Wow! Your post of your first full week was great! It brought smiles to me, but the last sentence, "Thank God for the life growing inside of me" brought tears to my eyes. God is indeed AWESOME!! Love to all 3 of you!
It sounds like you have had a very interesting week. I agree with Lynn - reading your blogs makes me smilee, especially knowing how willing you are to follow God's commands. It's really cool to be able to follow your adventures through your blog entries, and we all enjoy seeing the pictures. You are truly blessed, too, to be able to feel life growing inside of you and to have been chosen by God to be Butterbean's parents (and Butterbean is blessed to have you both as parents). Now, I want to impress you with my Bambara language (see - you are not the only one that has been trying to learn the language). "I ni su. Hair-ray tili-na?" (In case you don't know yet, that means: Good evening. Did you have a peaceful day?)
Love,
Aunt Robin
P.S. The Christ School prays for the three of you daily!
Aunt Robin, I am impressed!! And I actually knew what you were saying!! That's the first thing you learn in language school, all the greetings!! Thanks for your prayers!! Love, Arnett, Crystal, and Butterbean
I would hate to know what they would make of my last name!
Post a Comment