Saturday, May 9, 2009

Doctor visits, a trip to the bush, and catching up with friends...

First, we want to thank you for praying for us during this time of being apart. Praise God, He has surrounded us with His presence and His peace!! The first few days were rough but God allowed us to get through them.

IMG_1706

Here's a picture of where I'm staying. I'm the door to the left on the top floor. It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. Very nice!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I met with my new doctor on Monday (4/27). He speaks English which is very nice!! I really do like him and felt very comfortable with him and the hospital - a HUGE praise!! He did an ultrasound a said Butterbean was very healthy and would be okay if born today or anytime between now and May 25th. He also guesstimated the weight to be around 6.6 pounds!! One thing he was concerned about was my gestational diabetes test I had done in Mali. There are two different tests they can do to test for gestational diabetes, a fasting test and one you eat before. In Mali, I had done the fasting test but the lab wrote up the results like I had done the eating test. So, he wasn't quite sure what the results were saying. Tuesday, I went to the lab and repeated the test. Praise God, the lab tech did AMAZING and was able to quickly get the blood samples he needed with little pain!! Wednesday we went back for the results and Praise the Lord, no gestational diabetes!!

IMG_1701

Here's a view of Dakar from the cafe on top of the hospital!!

 

 

 

 

 

Monday, Arnett and Mitch headed out to "S" village to do some prep work on the field the village has given us for our upcoming farming project. They spent all week preparing the field for planting time. It was hot and the work was hard but we Praise God for this time in the bush. It helped keep Arnett busy and his mind off me not being there. He and Mitch were thoroughly exhausted come Friday when they got back into Bamako, so Arnett spent the weekend resting and catching up on his sleep.

Thursday afternoon two of the girls we were in training with came into Dakar for the weekend. They are currently serving in a town about 3 hours from Dakar. We spent the weekend shopping, eating, and catching up. Sunday, we were able to all go to a Baptism service on the beach. It was amazing. Praise God for the 10 teenagers who were baptized. Praise God too for Liz and Holly's visit and for a great weekend!!

IMG_1703 (2)

Me, Liz, and Holly at the beach for the Baptism service.

 

 

 

Praises:

  1. God surrounded us with His presence and peace and we survived our first week of being apart!!
  2. A great checkup and peace with the doctor and hospital here.
  3. The work Arnett and Mitch were able to get done on the field in "S" village.
  4. A great weekend with friends!!

Prayer Requests:

  1. Language - Arnett headed back to class after his week in the bush. I'm studying on my own here in Dakar.
  2. The timing of Arnett's arrival to Dakar.
  3. The Farming Project and the volunteers coming to Mali to work the project.

We can't thank you enough for your prayers!! Until next time...

2 comments:

David Pope said...

Won't be long now! I should be coming to Bamako in August for a meeting. Your apartment must be the exact duplicate of ours. Love you.

Walt and Tori said...

Wow the beach is gorgeous. Glad to hear you two are doing okay. Lots of love.