Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm not a terrorist, a great find, and mystery meat...

Well, we've had another great week. Our language lessons still continue to go well. We thank you for praying about our language.

Monday night we decided to try a new restaurant in town, "The Steak House". Me, Arnett, and Sara all went. Well, none of us speak French and all three of us know very little Bambara. Luckily for us, the owner, spoke English!! We got to chatting with him and he told us, "I'm from Lebanon, but I'm not a terrorist!" Well, we just thought that was the funniest thing ever and all three cracked up laughing!! The food was great and we had a good time!

The rest of our week was spent in language class and studying for the most part. Friday night, we were able to go and have a "movie night" with some of the others from our team.

IMG_1455

 

Just had to share a couple photos of Butterbean and how big we've gotten!!

 

 

 

IMG_1456

 

Yep!! That's our baby!!

 

 

 

 

 

Saturday morning, there were some people who worked for the American Embassy and some other organizations who were having a yard sale. We figured we might find some good stuff, so LaVerne, Sara, Arnett, and I all went. The first find of the day was a Fisher Price farm house set in great condition!! Then we found "THE ITEM!!" a glider, rocker in GREAT condition, and for a good price!! I sat in and was sold!! Praise the Lord that He allowed us to find a much wanted item!! We then purchased a Tonka dump truck for Butterbean and a Christmas Tree with lights!! We were both super stoked about all we found!!

IMG_1458

 

 

 

 

Arnett loving our new glider rocker!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the yard sale, Sara, Arnett, and I decided to go eat at the steak house again. We got there and to our dismay, the owner was no where in sight! So, we got our menus and started looking. Sara and I wanted pizza, so we decided on that! Arnett wanted a steak sandwich but couldn't tell if they had them or not. Under the hamburger section, there was something beouf, which we knew was the French word for beef. Sara, told Arnett, "Oh, just order it, be adventurous!!" Well, he did. The meal arrived and Arnett's looked like round pieces of beef. He tried it and said "It's really salty". Then he had Sara try a piece (he knew I would not try it). Once Sara was about half way through eating it, he proceeds to tell her "Yeah, that's the most disgusting thing ever!!" Then our team mate LaVerne shows up and Arnett tells her to try a piece and she does. Well, after the nasty look on LaVerne's face she asks the waiter what it is(she speaks French!). He tells her it's COW TONGUE!!! We all cracked up laughing!! No wonder when we asked him what it was, he said beef and pointed to his tongue. We thought he was telling us you eat it!! We learned a valuable lesson, sometimes it's just better to stick with what you know!!

IMG_1457

 

The mystery meat!! You can't see it here but the edges looked like they had taste buds on them!!

 

 

 

Praises this week:

  1. We are learning more and more language everyday.
  2. For finding the gliding rocking chair.
  3. For laughter, which is good medicine for the soul!

Prayer Requests:

  1. Language Learning.
  2. We will build good relationships with those that we meet, despite the language barrier.

Once again, we thank you for your prayers!! Until next time...

6 comments:

Mast Family said...

Wow - reading your blog is the next best thing to being there with you. What neat experiences you are having and you tell it in such a great way. Crystal - you and Gommer need to get together and write a book or something. You both have such great writing talents!

Kudos on the garage sale finds; I'm right there with you on that - Joe says I'm the garage sale queen. I hardly ever bought Logan new toys; his were all garage sale finds! I can vouch for the comfort of glider rockers; I still have mine and have no intention of ever selling it! You just need a glider foot stool and then you will be set.

We love all three of you and loved the pictures of Butterbean's growth and the picture of the two of you as well. Keep posting those pics; it's a great way for those us here to get a good feel for what you are experiencing.

Praying daily for you,
Uncle Joe, Aunt Robin and Logan

Lisa said...

You look wonderful and so does Butterbean. I sure do miss being able to rub your belly and feel Butterbean move. But Robin is correct reading your blog is the next best thing to being with you. Keep the pictues coming and know I love you and miss you so much, all 3 of you.
Mama

David Pope said...

Are you pregnant?

JUST kidding!

Walt and Tori said...

Crystal - Your belly is gorgeous. Hopefully the pregnancy is going great for you. It is a wonderful feeling to have life growing inside of you.

Arnett - You look nice and relaxed. Glad to hear it is you trying Cow's Tongue. I would have gotten sick on the table when they said that was what it was.

Miss you guys!

Much love and prayers! Tori

LindseySmiles said...

hey crystal.. it's your favorite cousin!! i just started reading your blog.. it's so interesting. my dad told me about it, and i finally checked it out. i'm so glad you are doing so well. i love you!!

-lindsey

The 4 Milams said...

Hey there. YOU LOOK GREAT!!! Glad to here all 3 of you are doing well. We just had a great laugh over the cow tounge. YUM YUM