So, the past few days I've been convicted about not really sharing how things are going here. I've kinda sugar coated things and made them seem like all is well. Well, the truth of the matter...all has not been well. Things have been tough, really tough!!
Lately, Arnett and I have both struggled with a sense of feeling purposeless here. While, this feeling has just sent me into the dumps, it has sent Arnett into a bad case of homesickness! We don't doubt that we are exactly where God wants us but we have been doubting that He wants to do anything with us! For the past several months we've been walking in the desert with God, even though at times I've wondered if He was even still there. Recently, though, I've been encouraged by this. Throughout history God has sent people into the desert before doing something big through them. I pray, that is the case with us. I pray that God is on the brink of doing a mighty work in and through us!
So, where does all this leave us?? Well, we aren't giving up yet and God's not giving up on us either...Praise Him for that!! Today(2/4), Arnett left to go on a 6 day trip to the bush. He's leading a vision team, which means, it's a group of volunteers whose church is looking to partner with us. He'll come back in and get rested up and then we'll go out as a family. Where are we going? We don't know yet. All we know is the general direction we're going in. Where are we going to stay? We don't know that either. All we know is that Africans are the most hospitable people we've ever met, so we'll be relying on them to give us shelter for the night! What are we going to eat? Well, we don't know that either. I'm sure "to" (pronounced toe) will be on the menu, as once again, we'll be relying on the Africans to feed us! So, why are we embarking on this adventure? Well, we are trusting God to show us the village He has for us and to fulfill His purpose for us. We are trusting God to show us this village, then we hope to start going there once a week to start a storying group. And believe it or not, we hope to build a house in this village and start staying out there several nights a week. I know, shocking for those who really know me and know that I am not a bush girl. What can I say...God is big and He can do anything!! Even turn this prissy, girly-girly girl into a bush girl!!
So, what can you do for us???
PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! PRAY!
What can you pray for?
- That God will lead us to His village.
- That God will give us a vision for the work we are to do in this village.
- That we will have boldness and courage as we are out. (personally, this little adventure scares me to death!!)
- That the people we meet will be open to hearing more about the God who loves them and who died for them.
We thank each and everyone of you for embarking on this journey with us! Without your constant prayers for us, we would have probably given up by now!! Praise God that He is in control!! Until next time...
6 comments:
We can understand the feelings of uselessness, but I am assured of ONE way God is using you through this journey ... you are encouraging and challenging those in the U.S. to follow Christ! Praying!
I feel your pain! After 20 years of being a pastor's wife, I, too, have wonderer what I am supposed to be doing here...Slowly, BUT surely He is leading me...when I know, it won't be a secret...I will be shouting it from the mountain tops! Still looking forward to your visit, but until then, I'm praying...
Arnett and Crystal - It's hard to know how to respond to your woes; what you are going through is heartwrenching but understandably so. You have given up everything to pursue what you believed God's will was for your lives, yet you question now what your true mission was. You are not alone with those questions; we all question what our purpose is at one time or another. You know something? You may feel you are floundering, not knowing which way to go and feeling purposeless, but I can assure you that you have reached literally hundreds of people in the states with what you are doing and countless others in ways you probably don't even know right there in Africa. You are an inspiration to all of us - your families, your friends, the young people at FBC Live Oak and the multiple other people who are following your journey along with you through your blog and through facebook. You are touching each and every one of us in ways you will never know and believe me - it is happening each and every day. We are all in awe of the sacrifices you are making to spread God's word to the Bambara people group. I can't imagine how you feel because I have never been in the exact situation obviously, but I do know that God did have a purpose in leading you into missions and specifically Bamako. We will definitely keep you in our prayers and hope your journey to find a village is successful. Always know that we all love you, are proud of you and look up to you for all you are doing for the glory of our Lord.
Hey girl! I"m so proud of you for talking about how tough it is. I know how hard it is to be transparent. He has a purpose or we wouldn't be out here. Keep focus, keep in the word. Love you guys and I'll be lifting you up!!!!
Praying for you both. I have nothing but admiration for the two you following God's lead. Don't lose the sight of what you guys went there for.
Lots of love and praying!
Thank you for the update. You were on my mind today and I wanted you to know.
Post a Comment