Well, this past week was a great week but at the same time it was a sad one. First the sad part... When we arrived to the field there was a volunteer here working with our team. Her name is Sara, she was helping handle logistics for our partnership churches as they prepare to send teams to Mali. Well, her four months of service here came to an end on Wednesday and she headed back to America. It was very sad for all of us but we know that she will be back!!
Here's Sara in one of the villages.
Monday, after language, Sara and Mitch were headed to "M-Village" so Sara could tell the villagers "good-bye". I haven't been out to many villages because as Butterbean and I grow lager we just can't handle the bumpy, bush roads!! Arnett and I decided "M-Village" wasn't too far and the road wasn't too bad, so we loaded up our stuff and headed out of Bamako. Well, most of you know I'm not much of a bush girl!! But I truly enjoyed my time in "M-Village". When we arrived all the villagers came out to greet us, they were so excited we were there. One of the ladies in the village was also expecting. Even though we could barely communicate, we had this instant bond. Here's a picture of us together. Please pray for Ava* as she prepares to deliver this child. I can only imagine the conditions this little person will be born in. I also got to hold a precious 1 month old. So, here's a picture of that.
After we spent some time greeting and chatting, it was time to take our bucket baths!! The villagers even warmed up the water for us, which was great!! After bath time it was dinner time. We had brought along some rice and gave it to the villagers, so they cooked that for supper. It was delicious. We all ate with our hands out of a common bowl. It wasn't bad at all, well except for the fact the rice was smokin' hot and burnt our fingers when we dipped it out of the bowl!! Mitch then told a Bible story to the villagers. Then it was off to bed. Mosquitos aren't bad right now but I didn't want to take any chances of getting malaria, so Arnett set up my mosquito tent and I climbed in. The worst part about sleeping in the bush is the animals! Not wild ones but donkeys, goats, sheep, chickens, and roosters!! I don't think they ever sleep!!! And roosters do not crow at dawn, more like 2 or 3 in the morning!!! But I did manage to get some zzzz's. Praise God!
Thursday, Arnett and I celebrated 4 wonderful years of marriage!! It's hard to believe it's been 4 years already. We both agree, if someone would have told us 4 years ago we'd be where we are today we would have laughed in their faces! We know though, that these past 4 years would not have been possible without God. He truly is our rock and the foundation on which we stand!! We Praise God for all His many blessings!!
Arnett also went on a hunting trip this week. He, Steve, and Mitch left Thursday (yes, that was our anniversary but I told him to go ahead and go, he needed a break from Bamako!) and were gone until this past Monday. He'll post all about his trip in the next day or so...
Sunday, Susan gave me some driving lessons on the PAVED ROAD!!! I finally graduated from the dirt road to the paved road!! I drove to Susan's house by myself, which I had to get on the paved road to do!! Then we drove in circles in her neighborhood to get me used to the traffic (as if that's even possible here!!). Then we went to get ice cream!! Yes, they have ice cream here. It's soft serve too, not as a good as Dairy Queen but close enough!! Praise God that I drove without hurting or killing anything or anyone!!!
The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. I went to language class, did some studying, and relaxed. Praise God for a good weekend!!
Praises this week:
- Language is still getting a little better each day!
- I survived my 2nd trip to the bush.
- 4 wonderful years of marriage.
- All that God has done for us over the past 4 years.
- I successfully drove on the paved road without accident or injury!!
Prayer Requests:
- Sara, as she adjusts to being back in America and dealing with culture shock.
- Language!
- The people of "M-Village", within in the next couple of weeks they will run out of food. Harvest time isn't until September. Pray God would provide food.
Thank you for your prayers!!! Until next time...
*Name has been changed
2 comments:
Thanks for the update! The Mighty Mex and I took a 10 hour trip up north and stayed with some missys. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THOSE DANG ROOSTERS!!!!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you both! I remember your wedding like it was yesterday.
Much love,
Tori
Post a Comment